Monday, November 23, 2009

How do I do it? Coreless Corespinning and Crazy Wrapping. Techniques & Tricks

Here's the second article in my "How do I do it?" technique series. I started with "regular" corespinning so you could get the feel of corespinning, and wrapping the fiber around a core. Once you've gotten that down you can move onto some other corespinning techniques.

One of my favorites is corespinning the fiber onto itself- or coreless corespinning!! It's super cool and once this is mastered, then doing cocoons is SUPER easy.. since it's basically the same thing in just one place.. In this video I also demonstrate crazy wrapping with thread. This is a textural element that is super fun and easy to incorporate into any yarn.


Here's a pic of the final yarn. You can see how light and fluffy it is. The pic was taken before the twist was set, but it'll do :)


As always, please post any questions you may have and share your coreless corespun yarns. I also would love to hear suggestions on what corespun techniques you'd like to see me demonstrate.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

You explained that so well! I've seen lots of mentions of 'coreless corespinning' recently and wondered how on earth it could work but you've made it very clear with your video and great explanation! Thank you! :D

Unknown said...

Thanks ever so much for the great videos! I want to have a go at all the techniques straight away! A shame it is already so late and I have to go to work tomorrow.
Take care.

Esther said...

yay! I'm so glad you're finding this helpful! I was corespinning on itself before I even knew what I was doing! Then in Chicago, Lexi pointed out that's what I've been doing with some of my yarns!! Even when I thought I wasn't corespinning.. I was LOL! That's how addicted to corespinning I am!! I'm happy I was able to explain it all!

bibandtucker said...

Ooh, yum scrum. The auto wrapping is just divine. Thankyou for sharing these videos :-) Kate.

CathyZ said...

Thanks Esther!

I just finished my first coreless corespun and really like the technique. I found it easier to deal with extra twist without the core! I could just pull out a length and let any extra twist out the end.

picperfic said...

oooh now wow, I want to do that! I must go and card myself a crazy batt to play with, Thank you for the inspiration!

Colleen said...

Hi Esther!,

I heard a rumor (ok, it was posted on her web-site!) that Lexi Boeger will be doing a camp in Asheville this July. OOOHHHH, how can I sign up, please let me sign up, please, please. Ok, I'm excited. Please let me know if/when registration will be open. Thank you,
Colleen

Faith said...

Thank you so much for this tutorial! It makes so much sense. Can't wait to try it out myself!