Monday, February 8, 2010

Tricks and Techiques- DRUM CARDING!!

So I've gotten LOTS of questions on how I card my batts.. mostly HOW do I fit as much fiber onto my drum as I do.. to get those HUGE batts!!
So this weekend I did a short technique demo on carding layers with my louet carder.

For me, carding is about layers.. it's like painting the fiber onto the drum. Even when I do more than 1 of the "same" batt or when I "encore" batts (recreate previously carded batts) they are always unique- because I can never "paint" the fiber exactly the same way. I may use the same fibers... in the same colors.. but they will always be placed slightly different on the drum.



PLEASE no teasing on my sweatpants and "IL" trucker hat.. It was Sunday morning! LOL!!! I am proudly wearing my "daily dose of fiber" ravelry shirt! YAY ravelry!

I've gotten some questions on how to "process" a batt for spinning.. so I'll do a few quickie demo's on pulling roving from a batt this weekend (without using a diz). I'll try to get one using diz as well if I have time!

My next technique video will be (core)spinning with locks. I hope to have that up early next month!!

7 comments:

Helen said...

This is great...now I really want a drum carder! Thank you for posting it :-)

Ginga Squid said...

Thanks for that Esther - some new techniques I'm off to try (I had just been putting everything through the feeder in my Ashford drum carder).

And triple WOW to your wool/fiber stash - I'm in awe!!!!!

Really, really looking forward to spinning some locks. I have some & am ready to go - once I've watched your upcoming tutorial......

Jenni said...

What a neato video! I want more tips and tricks please:) how to use a ditz and spinning locks would be so wonderful for you to video. Looking forward to more!

Liz said...

Great video, Esther!

Bohoknitterchic said...

What a great video! We do it the same way- it's nice to know I'm doing it "right" ;-)

ChelleC said...

That is a wonderful video. Thanks for the tips. I've had a Fancy Kitty drum carder for a while and really haven't ventured to do much with it yet but you are inspiring me. I love your idea of throwing in novelty yarns and other glitzy stuff. Thanks! Also, if you do any dyeing, I'd love to see tips on that as well.

christine said...

thank you for video !!!